Monday, September 30, 2013

Looking Forward: Tennessee

I hate Tennessee. I have never cheered against an SEC team in the BCS (including Auburn!) with the lone exception of the stupid Volunteers. I refused to watch the Book of Manning and I even passed on Peyton in my Fantasy Football league. Yes, my hatred runs so deep that I would risk losing just to stand my ground against Tennessee.

Now that we have established the ground rules, what can you say about an 11 point home underdog that has been abysmal all season? Well, most Dawg fans are no stranger to the Vols knocking us out of the National Championship. After all, you can't play for the National Championship if you don't play for the conference championship (ahem....Alabama).

So could that fate await us this year? Well, it is hard to get excited for this game after all the Dawgs have already been through. I found myself thinking "of course it is possible, but is it really?" Well, I thought maybe we should look back and see just how well UGA plays against the Vols. I can certainly remember my fair share of games we just shouldn't have lost, but what is the real data?

In the past 6 games, UGA has a combined 4-2 record against the Vols. If we break that down, we see that they have gone a perfect 3-0 at home having outscored the Vols by a combined 118-72. If you look at their performance in Neyland Stadium, it is a little more haunting. On the road, the Dawgs have gone a mere 1-2 and have been outscored by a combined 92-53! If you did the math, you realize that is a meager average of 17 points per game!

It is also important to note that during that 1-2 record on the road, Tennessee has been a home underdog in each game. In fact, in all of the last 6 games, UGA has only covered the spread twice.

So what is the point? Well, the point is that Tennessee seems to be one of those teams that UGA just doesn't play that well against at times despite the large gap in talent. Do I think they will beat UGA on Saturday? I would be shocked, but it might be a little closer than people would like. Given the emotional win they are coming off of, it may be one of those games that is a bit of a letdown. This would also be a signature win for Rocky Top, so you better believe they will be ready for the Dawgs. I think it will probably be close early on, but I don't think they can continue to slow down our offense.

This brings me to my next topic and certainly something I would like to hear from you guys about. Does UGA need style points from this point forward? I don't think I know the answer to this. They do have a resume that is second to none and I doubt any other team could have done better against their schedule. College football does seem to be a "what have you done for me lately" scene, though. Did UGA peak to early? It would be a good start to jump Louisville in the coaches poll because I seriously doubt they will lose. If UGA jumps them, Louisville has no big game that would let them jump UGA, particularly if UGA goes into Atlanta and beats #1 Bama at the end of the season. Of the remaining overrated ESPN love-children, I think one will probably get through unbeaten leaving probably Oregon or Ohio St and Lousiville as unbeatens and a few 1 loss teams. I think UGA is certainly at the top of the order for 1 loss teams, but could they skip an undefeated Lousiville? I would love to hear what you guys think.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's try to keep it clean and free of trolls. We encourage discussion, but please don't be disrespectful.